I was cycling down the road and it was all empty – on the left hand I noticed a beautiful meadow, on the right – an iridescent river. It was an ordinary Thursday, just some days before I left Estonia. In my dreams I was already somewhere far away – catching a train in Kazakhstan, sleeping in the yurt, joking around with my new friends, climbing the top of a mountain, taking another traditional pancake with chocol… TSAHH! – I was back to the reality. I got off the bike, all shaking and eyes filled with tears. I saw a huge truck speeding to the horizon. The truck in which there must have been a driver sitting and not giving a f*** that there were only couple of centimetres between us. Maybe he was also lost in his dreams…
That certain second could have totally change both of our lives. Actually it did – it was a ruthless reminder how fragile is life. It could have happen so easily that I wouldn’t have all of this I have now. I wouldn’t be alive, easy as that. And the truth is that the only moment I really do have is the one I’m having right now, writing all of this here. And the same for you – this exact moment while you are reading it. Now.
Because after half an hour you might not be able to do it.
As an unexpected second can turn your life upside down, you by yourself could use it for your own sake. You can change your life in a way you feel better, more safe, more happy. You can take a decision to:
- Quit your job if it is not serving you anymore. Yes – if it’s not serving you, not the other way around.
- Get into relationship or get out of it – if it feels better for your soul.
- Start with a new hobby, business, sign up as a volunteer, go travelling. Whatever makes you happy.
It takes only one second. One second to change your own thoughts, to make a decision.
There’s something which I didn’t truly understand before I started travelling. I knew it, but I didn’t feel it deep enough.
“Why do they not teach you that time is a finger snap and an eye blink, and that you should not allow a moment to pass you by without taking joyous, ecstatic note of it, not wasting a single moment of its swift, breakneck circuit?” – Pat Conroy
The ones who have been on the road rarely take time for granted. Also the ones who have smelled the death. Have felt strong feelings. They are the ones who value time so hard that you can feel how passionate they are about… life.
What makes me so happy just right now? Happy as I feel like crying?
- I woke up in the morning. Another beautiful day full of learning, options, beautiful souls!
- I went jogging after half a year break and I feel like every cell in my body is cheering!
- I’m eating the best apple in the world.
- I feel warm as I’m wearing my summer dress for the first time in this year.
- My heart is filled with people who are making me happy just because they are there.
- Neighbour’s rooster in the backyard finally stopped crowing, what a holy silence, haha!
Only after we have lost something we get to know its real value. Sometimes it’s your beloved one, sometimes your health, sometimes freedom. Sometimes it’s life.
What makes you happy right now?